March 6, 2009

Food and dancing

I am blessed with amazing people to watch out for me here. My friend Maida from Sam Houston State is from Jordan and even graduated from the school I teach at here. Her mother, Sirvart, lives here in Amman and I visit her as often as our 2 schedules allow. She is THE most amazing cook! Everytime I visit she has an amazing meal prepared for me to pig out on. This afternoon Joanna, Alex and I were invited to her house to prepare and eat lunch with her.

The past couple of months I've had the strange desire to learn how to cook. You see, for so many years I had absolutely no desire to ever learn how to cook. I even hated to grocery shop. But now I love looking up recipes, discovering healthy meals to make, and grocery shopping for healthy organic food. When I expressed to Sirvart that I wanted to learn how to cook she offered to teach me some tasty, but easy, Arab dishes. I got so excited....I probably looked like a goofball b/c of the chessy excited grin that came across my face.
So today was the first day of "cooking class." She started me on an easy dish called Southern Border. It turned out deliciously scrumptious and was sooo easy! We had a lot of fun cooking and chatting together, lots of laughs were had.


After lunch at Sirvart's we all went home and started to get ready and all dolled up for the Whitman 1st annual dance for the high schoolers. Teachers were asked to chaperone the dance, I was greatly looking forward to this night! Any excuse to put on a dress and boogie to some oldies, hehe. Joanna was my date to the dance, we had a blast getting in circles with other students and teachers and showing off our super rad moves. The dance was a success and a blast! Oh to be a teen again....it's such an awkward stage, I'm glad I'm past it, hehe.

No comments: